Occupational Therapy (OT) is a holistic profession that aims to enable their clients to participate in activities across all three occupational areas of their lives; work, play and self-care. They can help solve the problems that interfere with our ability to do things that are important to us.
Our paediatric OTs at Laura’s Place provide individualised therapeutic interventions to help kids improve performance in a number of areas. They are creative, scientific, and evidence-based masters of modification and expert task analysers. They love what they do and are passionate about making a positive difference in the lives of children, their families, and their communities.
At Laura’s Place, our highly trained occupational therapists evaluate and treat children from birth to 21 years of age with a variety of diagnoses that may include (but is not limited to):
- Autism related disorders
- Sensory-motor disorders
- Upper extremity (shoulder, arm and hand) injuries including brachial plexus injuries, burns, fractures, etc
- Developmental disabilities
- Down Syndrome and other genetic diagnoses
- Cerebral Palsy and other neurological diagnoses
- Traumatic brain injury
- Delays in fine motor and visual motor skills directly affecting academic performance
Children may benefit from paediatric occupational therapy for:
- Self-care skills including feeding, dressing, and grooming
- Hand strengthening and coordination skills required for activities such as cutting with scissors, writing and colouring, buttoning, using feeding utensils, etc
- Sensory-motor processing and integration
- Upper extremity (shoulder, arm and hand) splinting & serial casting
- Recommendation, training, and use of adaptive equipment
- Neurodevelopmental treatment
- Visual motor and handwriting skills
- Pain management
- Wheelchair and equipment prescription and evaluation
Join one of our groups!!
- Targeted social skills group
- School readiness (Occupational Therapy & Speech Language Pathology)
For more information or to make an appointment with one of our Occupational Therapists, please give us a call on (02) 4385 5587.