Speech and Language Therapy has a broad scope across all ages. Speech Language Pathologists (SLPs) deal with anything and everything to do with language, communication, voice and feeding/swallowing.
Speech Language Pathologists believe that it is a basic human right for a person to be able to communicate their wants, needs, and feelings. We strive to assume competency in communication and allow everyone the best opportunity to engage with the wider world. Catherine, our SLP, feels passionately about speech therapy for kids, believing every child has the capacity to contribute meaningfully to society and that learning to communicate is the cornerstone.
At Laura’s Place, we focus on paediatric SLP – from birth to school’s end.
Our Speech Pathologists can help children with:
Reading and literacy
- phonological awareness skills and pre-literacy
- decoding of reading
- reading comprehension
- reading fluency
- we offer one-on-one MultiLit for children post year 1
Pragmatics – social language skills
- speech sound issues such as lisping or difficulty with articulation of speech sounds
- Childhood Apraxia of Speech
- language delays such as only using two word sentences at age 3; not using pronouns correctly after 4 years; not being able to follow two part instructions after 3 years etc.
- ASD diagnosis (in conjunction with our clinical psychologists)
- ASD language and speech issues
- help with academic language skills – different to functional language, this skill involves reading for learning; how to deconstruct questions; and format answers
- stuttering – our SLP is fully trained in the Lidcombe Program
- Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) for non-verbal communication
- advocacy for those who have difficulty fully expressing themselves
- vocal nodule therapy
- voice therapy around voice volume, voice quality, or vocal hygiene.
For more information or to make an appointment with one of our Speech Language Pathologists please give us a call on (02) 4385 5587.